BUFFET: Building a Unified Framework For Exoplanet Treatments
September 27-29, 2021 • online everywhere
The NASA Nexus for Exoplanet System Science (NExSS) CUISINES Working Group is hosting this three-day workshop to bring together scientists who use a variety of models to explore the planets in the Solar System and beyond, and who are interested in comparing results through exoplanet model intercomparison projects (MIPs) that would promote best scientific practices and maximize scientific output, as well as enable broad and inclusive community participation.
Brief outline of workshop activities:
Monday, September 27
- Short talks on defining a MIP’s purpose by outlining science questions to be addressed and specific goals for a MIP to achieve, considering ramifications for observable targets.
- Community discussion of research questions that can be best addressed through intercomparisons, and how intercomparisons can help your personal research.
- Breakout sessions for each of 4 model types (3D GCM, 1D RCE/Photochemistry, EBM, RT tools) to discuss specific ideas for intercomparisons.
Tuesday, September 28
- Community discussions on developing a realistic experimental design and scope that addresses the MIP’s purpose and enables broad participation, as well as defining benchmark cases for reference.
- Breakout sessions to define specific MIP protocols, by model type and/or for MIP ideas developed in the previous day’s breakout sessions.
Wednesday, September 29
- Community discussion on creating data management plans that meet the needs of individual MIP participants, as well as long-term archiving and data sharing.
- Community definition of timelines for completion of MIP experiments, data sharing and analysis, and manuscript(s) development among MIP participants.
- Community contributions to a draft outline for a paper presenting CUISINES-endorsed frameworks for MIPs within and between model types (1-D RCE/Photochemistry, EBM, GCM, RT tools).
A detailed agenda can be found here: https://bit.ly/2YpNlyb
Registration is FREE. We ask everyone to complete this registration form no later than September 23, in order to receive updates for Zoom links and other important information: https://bit.ly/3zTLP5h
See you all on Monday, September 27!
Linda Sohl, Kostas Tsigaridis, & The BUFFET SOC